Help! My Pet Has Gone Missing!

The Morinville Veterinary Clinic also acts as the pound for the  Town of Morinville and County of Athabasca. If your pet is missing from any of these municipalities we’re here to help. If your pet has gone missing from any of these municipalities we are here to help. If your pet has gone missing, we have some tips on how to start looking.

      1. Be prepared to search outside your municipality. If your pet has gone missing in Morinville, for example, it is not impossible for your pet to end up in Sturgeon County. Check our bylaw directory to find out who to call
      2. Leave your pet’s bedding or a litter box outside of your house. The familiar scent can help pets come home.
      3. If your pet has permanent identification (tattoo or microchip) contact the veterinary clinic that identified them. Most pet owners don’t know their pets tattoo or microchip number. Knowing this information will be important if your pet is located. Make sure your contact information is up to date with your vet clinic and the microchip company.
      4. Put up lost pet flyers, and create a lost pet post on social media. We’ve seen a lot of pets reunited with their owners through social media.
      5. Take a walk through your neighbourhood and talk to your neighbours. Ask them to keep an eye out for your pet and leave them your contact information. Ask them to look around their property. Missing pets often panic and will take shelter under stairs, decks, in an open garage or shed. Bring treats if your pet is food motivated. Don’t run after your pet if found, walk slowly and remain calm.
      6. Contact us at 780-939-3133. If your pet isn’t already here we will take your information and add your pet to our lost pet database.
      7. Contact local bylaw, let them know your pet has gone missing. (See phone list below)
      8. Don’t lose hope! Keep your search active. We’ve seen pets reunited with their family members after many years. It is important to continue the search for your pet. Start searching for your pet within a 5-kilometer radius of where the pet went missing. You can extend the search as time goes by.

    Bylaw Directory:

    Town of Morinville: 780-939-7831

    City of St. Albert: 780-458-7700

    Sturgeon County: 780-939-8419

    County of Athabasca: 780-675-6611

    Edmonton Humane Society:(780) 471-1774


    The EHS also post photos of impounded animals every 20 minutes you can see this here:

    Animal Care & Control Edmonton: 780-442-5311 or 311

    Important things to consider:
    Every municipality is different. In the Town of Morinville we’re lucky enough to have a bylaw protecting stray felines. Most other cities and counties in Alberta do not have a feline bylaw. This means enforcement services, bylaw or animal care and control may not accept stray felines to the pound.

    At the Morinville Veterinary Clinic, we have space to house lost canines and felines. We cannot accept stray felines or canines that do not fall under our legal jurisdictions. We will accept stray canines and felines from the Town of Morinville. We accept stray canines from the County of Athabasca only when presented by a bylaw officer. We are legally bound to follow and enforce these limitations.