We remain open to provide care for your pets. We are following the direction of government and regulatory authorities and have implemented hospital and visit protocols to keep both you and our team safe. For regular updates on our hours and visit protocols, please follow our social media platforms.
As pet owners, we need to make life decisions and sometimes, end of life decisions for our pets. Euthanasia is an elective procedure to end the life of a pet. This is never an easy decision to make and often very emotional. At the Morinville Veterinary Clinic, our team is here to guide you through this challenging time.
What is pet euthanasia and how do I know when it’s the right time?
Euthanasia is a humane end of life procedure, performed by a veterinarian. Our method of euthanasia is painless for your pet. Our team is here to help you through this vastly difficult decision. Our veterinarians can answer questions about your pet’s health and help you assess the quality of life. As pet owners ourselves, we understand the intense emotional toll that comes with loss. Don’t feel alone in this process, we’re here to support you.
Can I say goodbye to my pet in the comfort of our home?
We offer a house call service for residents within our community. Help us by arranging a house call at least two weeks in advance of the requested date.
What drug is used?
For our end of life procedures, we use a combination of sedatives. Initially, we will use a sedative to ensure the utmost comfort for both pet and owner. The euthanasia solution is a barbiturate. Once administered, the patient will fall into a state of deep rest, cardiac functions will cease shortly after.
What’s the cost of euthanasia?
Costs for euthanasia may vary greatly depending on the animal size and after-life care. Please feel free to contact us regarding costs associated with this procedure.
Does the clinic also provide bereavement counselling?
Bereavement counselling starts at your pet’s final veterinary appointment, where we have a very compassionate team to help you through this time. We would be happy to refer you to bereavement services, or counsellors that can help if you wish.
Dr Kinsmen has Seen us through 4 dogs now, she is very compassionate and an excellent vet, I will only…
Due to the close contact that our work requires, we have taken additional measures to protect you and our team while providing care for your furry family members.
The following changes are effective as of Thursday, March 19, 2020:
1. We are currently operating a "closed waiting room" policy to protect our clients and staff. When you arrive, please remain in your vehicle and use your cell phone to call us at 780 939 3133. We will take a history of your pet over the phone, and bring your pet into the clinic for an examination with the veterinarian. Once the examination is finished, we will call you to discuss our recommended treatment plan and then return your pet to your car.
2. We are still OPEN with the following hours: Monday to Friday 8:00 am - 9:00 pm, Saturdays 8:00 am-6:00 pm and Sundays 10:00 am-5:00 pm.
3. If you are ordering food or medications, please allow 2-4 business days as our suppliers are dealing with increased demand and are trying to fill orders as quickly as possible. We will advise you as soon as your order arrives. Please call us when you arrive to pick up your order, but do not enter the hospital. Our staff will bring your order to your car and take payment over the phone.
4. We ask that payments be made over the phone with a credit card whenever possible. However, we will still accept debit payments if needed.
5. Following the recommendations of our government and medical experts, we are doing our best to practice social distancing within the constraints of our roles. As such, we have taken measures to avoid both contracting and facilitating the spread of this virus.
Thank you for helping us be diligent for everyone's safety. As we have heard from all levels of government, the situation is fluid, and any updates will be provided as changes occur.
- Your dedicated team at Morinville Veterinary Clinic